Thursday, June 11, 2009

Midway quitting the course: referred to division Bench

Is a college management entitled to seek the entire course fee if a student leaves the course midway?

Rules and regulations don't have specific answer to this situation. Related to this issue, a single Bench has referred the case of a student to a division Bench.

Smruthi, who had been studying in R V Dental College for six months, has been told to by the court to deposit the balance course fee by way of a bank guarantee. Also, the court told the college management to return her marks cards and other documents.

The college's counsel cited a Supreme Court observation related to a case with Islamia Academy, in which the college management is entitled to take the full course fee.

The petitioner's advocate, however, said there is no specific law or regulation to deal with such a situation and Smruthi can leave the course if she doesn't wish to continue.

According to the student, she discontinued 1st-year BDS course due to non-availability of educational loan. She asked the college to return her original marks cards and other documents so that she can pursue her course elsewhere.

She stood 4,390 rank in CET in 2008-09 and failed to get an MBBS seat, after which she was allotted a BDS seat under the government quota. She has paid a fee of Rs 32,500.

Related News


Post a Comment

  © RGUHS Update Blog 2008 - 09. Home | Disclaimer | Contact Template by Powered By Blogger

Back to TOP